Friday, September 9, 2011

A little bit of thunder and lightening never killed anyone....

Hiiiiiiiii :)

Well, the title of this blog is half true...  Thunder has not killed anyone, but lightening has.  And that is why I am INSIDE!  
I was driving home from work today and a huge thunder and lightening storm just popped out of no where.  It's weird because I am more or less getting used to these random storms.  They are so beautiful and terrifying at the same time.  My room does not muffle any of the noise, by the way.  It is pretty intense when I can feel the thunder rumble in my bed.... Anyway, I am slightly obsessed with the storms... CAN YOU TELL??

But when it comes to real life stuff (like my job, my house, my friends, my roommates...)  things are going pretty good.    My room is set up, for the most part.  I have learned (the hard way) that cement walls do not allow sticky hooks to permanently make a home on the walls.  I have broken 2 huge frames, 1 small frame, and everything has fallen off the wall.  Even my tension rod curtains find a way to fall off my windows in the middle of the night.  I have had 879890 heart attacks during the night because things just fall. 

The roaches in our kitchen have slowly been exterminated, thank you very much ACE hardware and momma and papa deBos.  If anyone has a roach problem..... call me up because I have become the ROACH KILLING MACHINE.  Those buggers have no chance against my lightening fast reflexes... 

Work is going good.  Still figuring out exactly what I will be doing.  Thus far, I have a partner in crime, her name is Debbie and she is an AmeriCorp.  She speaks fluent Creole, so she has a huge advantage over me when it comes to talking to the clients that come in the office.  Today we spent 3 1/2 hours helping a nice client fill out I-130... I think that is the name of the form.  I am learning the numbers and names of everything... THERE IS SO MUCH!  I definitely have some studying to do. 
But I have heard through my supervisor that I will be getting tasks to plan events for our clients.  Like Christmas banquets, get togethers, and events.  That is what I want to do!  Since Project HEAL is brand new, I am excited to help add some sparkle to the program!

I got the greatest comfort present just a few days ago.  My best friend Becca sent me a HUGE bowl full of notes from all of my loved ones back home.  So if you are reading this and wrote something in that bowl.... THANK YOU!  I know that Jamie, Andrew, Mrs. Rogers, and my momma wrote something.  They are happily taped in my journal.  I will never be home sick because I have this whole bowl of love notes to read :) And Becca, you are the greatest best friend ever.  I am happy to have you in my life <3

Speaking of home sick, I have yet to even still feel a little sad about moving out to Miami.  I am absolutely loving everything so far.  Well, maybe not LOVING every single moment, but I have nothing to complain about.  Everyone out here is so cool.  I am in Starbucks right now because the internet at our house does not work, and I am pretty sure I have made 10 friends just sitting here.  Actually, as we speak I am making friends with a 2nd grader.  Just had a 10 minutes conversation with her about school, storms, Miami, California, and what she learned today at school.  She said 'I learned that you should always help people, and when you do not want to help other you should still be nice to them.'  Uhhhh heck yes!  We also talked about how art is her favorite subject... Her and I would be best friends is I was a second grader!
Miami is totally cool, and I am so happy that I have been placed here.  The diversity out here is crazy awesome and everyone has really interesting stories.  Miami is a match made in heaven :)  Thank you GBGM for putting me somewhere that I can call home!

I miss EVERYONE so much... and I love that I have so many people to talk to always.  My sorority sisters, my best friends, my fellow US2's and MI's, my family, my camp friends, my church friends, and my 13 wonderful kiddies.... You are all so loved by me and I hope some of you eventually come and visit! I am slowly learning how to drive in Miami, and trust me when I say, I AM A PRO MIAMI DRIVER.  They drive like crazy people out here... I fit in just fine :)

OK that is all for now.  The Starbucks people keep looking at me like I am crazy, because I have been here for 2 hours haha
Till next time...
<3 Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment