Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dark Blue

Well hello my lovely people who enjoy reading my thoughts, rants, and comments about life in Miami :)  I have waited a very long time (just over a week) to write a new blog... And I feel like, once again, I have so much to say!!

OK so lets hit the highlights shall we...
Last week I went to the First United Methodist Church of Miami with one of my roommates Callie.  The service was very lovely.  Pastor Cynthia was very poised and had a great message that corresponded very nicely with the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  The folks at the church were more than welcoming.... and I thought the organ was AMAZING.  It was absolutely stunning, and very well played.
Callie and I went to Riviera Presbyterian Church today.  She and I are both church hunting (which by the way is so exhausting).  The church was so awesome, the people were welcoming, and the message was great.  I am still on the search for a home church, and so is Callie.  She does not have a car so we are finding new churches every week that we alternate picking and go check them out.  So far, we have liked everywhere we have gone!  Thats a definite good sign...

Work is coming together very nicely.  It is a lot of paperwork, a lot of running around in the office.  But we did have TPS (Temporary Protected Status) clinic this past Thursday.  My supervisor (Janet) and my fellow co-worker (AmeriCorps Debbie) drove about an hour from our office to Bethesda church (one of many Haitian churches), where we had scheduled with Pastor Luc to have the church opened for any Haitian family or person to come and receive free help filling out their TPS form before the deadline in November.  We finally arrive, and Pastor Luc is no where to found.... He forgot we were coming!!
We eventually tracked him down.  Pastor Luc was helping at Hallendale Church passing out food to the community.  There were so many families and individuals there waiting for food, many of which were Haitian.  Pastor Luc had forgotten to tell us that Thursdays are his day off and he spends his time off helping distribute food.  He has a heart of gold!  Debbie and I are planning on going down on Wednesdays or Thursdays to help distribute food and to interact with the community, especially those who are part of the Haitian community, and both Debbie and I are so eager to start volunteering at this food pantry.
I like work very much... I can see it becoming emotionally draining.  I can predict that the more I learn, the more I am going realize that the government is really annoyingly difficult to work with.  I have always heard things about the legal system, but I have NEVER been this closely linked to it.  There will be more to come on this subject later in life.... I am not knowledgeable yet to really go in depth about it.... But I will be.

On a lighter note....
On Friday we had a house warming party... WOO HOO!  We had all of the DOOR people come over, and invited everyone in our community.  Naturally, people who lived on the farm were 1 1/2 hours early, and everyone from DOOR was 1 1/2 hours late.  Prior to the party... One of the folks who lives on the farm delivered 8 live crabs to our house that he caught earlier that day.  He said that they were birthday presents for my roommate Rebekah (whose birthday was on the 14th) and for mine (which is the 19th).  So we boiled ourselves some crabs... and for dinner had 2 crabs each.  I have never had crab in my life.... OK like one time.... But not the whole thing.  My housemates and I looked very primitive.  Crab shells, crab meat, and crab stuff was just shooting everywhere across the table.  I was more scared of the dead crab laying on my plate, than I was before it was boiled to a bright right. It was an experience thats for sure.... But back to the party!!
We eventually had about 20 people who came by.  We gave the tour of where we live.  Through my back porch of a room (which by the way is looking like a real room!) to the animals out in the back.  Too bad it was dark and no one could really see the goats, pig, emus, geese, chickens, or turkeys.  They were all in awe of the layout of the land.  I think no one truly believes us that we really live in a hippie community with live animals.  It was amazing to see their reactions.... So this is fair warning for anyone coming to visit me.... IT IS WAY COOLER THAN IT SOUNDS ON PAPER!
At night we had a huge fire out on the volleyball court... We find anything wood we can burn and just go at it.  We also bring out as many djembes (drums) as we can find.  Lydia and I break out guitars and we just sit and play music for hours.  This happens for us about every other night.  So chill, so relaxing, so zen.  Loveeeee.

Oh this next thought might surprise some of you....
I have made the vow to start reading books.  Yes, what a NOVEL idea :) haha that made me laugh!
I am just finishing up Nicholas Sparks book 'At First Sight'... and I must say, I am really 1) enjoying the book itself... and 2) enjoying actually spending time here and there throughout my day to sit and just read.  It is so therapeutic.  I think I'm convinced the read all of the Nicholas Sparks books... YAY! I am beginning to read 'The Princess Bride' tomorrow with a friend who is willing to read it with me!  I think it will be nice to have someone to discuss what I am reading with, and it will make me for sure not get behind on my reading!!  So if you have any suggestions on books... Let me know :)

Also, I would like to thank those who are sending me things in the mail.  I really love receiving notes, letters, boxes, whatever... You guys are too wonderful.

Yeah I realize this blog is really long... So I shall cut off my thought process here...
I have SO much more to say... but there is just not enough time, especially since Starbucks is closing very soon -- no internet at the house is very frustrating and very inconvenient, but I can't complain too much because at least I have the ability to access internet here... whereas I know some of my fellow MI's do not even have that luxury... Keeping myself in check--

Happy 22nd Birthday to me in 2 1/2 hours!!
I love you all and I will try to post more often!
Till next time...
<3 Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Past due for an update on your blog. (lol) Missed posting Happy Birthday to you so Happy Belated Birthday! Keep your chin up. Remember, in all things God is in control! So proud of you! Praying for you daily.

    Love through Christ,
    Saundra

    ReplyDelete